October 31, 2017 Indiana State Soil Conservation Board Update:
• 141 paid IDEA Members for 2017
• Poster Contest 2017 – Theme was Healthy Soils are Full of Life; there are five divisions judged by grades: K-1, 2-3, 4-6, 7-9 and 10-12 and judging takes place at the IASWCD Office by IDEA Directors
o Navy Milam – Vermillion County K-1
o Cassie Norman – Vermillion County 2-3
o Hailey Miedema – Lake County 4-6
o Nastya Kunkle – Vermillion County 7-9
o Jamie Kuiken – Lake County 10-12
Poster Contest 2018 will be Watersheds: Our Water, Our Home and there are five divisions judged by grades: K-1, 2-3, 4-6, 7-9 and 10-12 and judging takes place at the IASWCD Office by IDEA Directors
• IDEA Fall Conference was October 11-13, 2017 in Tippecanoe County; 73 attendees with the theme for the Conference was “Partnership Matters” with speakers from the Indiana Conservation Partnership. Excellent sessions and networking for IDEA District Staff
• 2018 IDEA Fall Conference will be October 2, 3 and 4, 2018 and will be at Lake Monroe, Bloomington, Indiana
• 2017 Fall Conference District Scholarship winners:
(IDEA hosts a drawing giving back to the Districts that are selected for District Staff to attend the next year’s conference with up to $200.00 for Conference registration and hotel expenses)
North-Southeast - Cindy Marley; Shelby Co. SWCD
North-Northwest - Quentin Blount; Pulaski Co. SWCD
North-Southwest - Allison Shoaf; Brown Co. SWCD
South-Northwest - Sue Fisher; Hamilton Co. SWCD
South-Northeast - Becky Daugherty; Delaware Co. SWCD
North-Northeast - Allen Haynes; DeKalb Co. SWCD
South-Southeast- Linda Jackson; Scott Co. SWCD
South-Southwest - Jeri Ziliak; Posey Co. SWCD
• IDEA is creating a Region Conservation Partnership Calendar for 2018 that will be handed out at the IASWCD Annual Conference showcasing the 2017 Poster Contest Winners.
• The IDEA Regions Directors with Region Staff and ISDA District Support Specialist (DSS) have been meeting monthly, bi-monthly and/or quarterly dependent on the Region to help further the strength of IDEA and District Employees.
• IDEA Silent Auction will once again be happening at the IASWCD Annual Conference in January. We encourage you to bring a donated item as well as stop by and sign up to buy one of the items. Proceeds go to our Poster Contest and Scholarship Programs.